[extropy-chat] Article on transhumanism on the leading Italian weekly magazine Panorama

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Wed Mar 9 19:10:27 UTC 2005

At 07:22 PM 3/9/2005 +0100, GP wrote:

>No rational argument against [uploading], more like a subliminal appeal to
>reacting instiictively against, but the article is not that bad you
>know.

Okay, but what I'm wondering is *what* they mean by `uploading the mind',
and why they disapprove? Is the `Yuck' factor--`Oh, how creepy, a brain in
a vat!'

Or doubts about continuous identity throughout the transfer--`That's not
Kenny, it's just a copy... and the bastards have *killed* Kenny!' (I'd go
along with that one, usually.)

Or `It's unnatural! Stop it!'

If the latter, why is this any different from their deciding that
homosexuality, or education for women, or eating cabbages, is disgusting,
unnatural, and awful even to think about?

Damien Broderick