[extropy-chat] Article on transhumanism on the leadingItalian weekly magazine Panorama

Gina Miller nanogirl at halcyon.com
Wed Mar 9 21:38:51 UTC 2005

Is this article in English somewhere?

G`
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Damien Broderick
  To: ExI chat list
  Sent: Wednesday, March 09, 2005 11:10 AM
  Subject: Re: [extropy-chat] Article on transhumanism on the leadingItalian weekly magazine Panorama

  At 07:22 PM 3/9/2005 +0100, GP wrote:

  >No rational argument against [uploading], more like a subliminal appeal to
  >reacting instiictively against, but the article is not that bad you
  >know.

  Okay, but what I'm wondering is *what* they mean by `uploading the mind',
  and why they disapprove? Is the `Yuck' factor--`Oh, how creepy, a brain in
  a vat!'

  Or doubts about continuous identity throughout the transfer--`That's not
  Kenny, it's just a copy... and the bastards have *killed* Kenny!' (I'd go
  along with that one, usually.)

  Or `It's unnatural! Stop it!'

  If the latter, why is this any different from their deciding that
  homosexuality, or education for women, or eating cabbages, is disgusting,
  unnatural, and awful even to think about?

  Damien Broderick