///// [extropy-chat] ///// {META - Help re Browsers}

Samantha Atkins sjatkins at mac.com
Sat Mar 19 21:37:58 UTC 2005

On Mar 19, 2005, at 10:40 AM, Hara Ra wrote:

> These days, every time I look at web sites, my machine gets loaded
> with an insane amount of adbots and spybots, even on innocuous sites
> (hah!) like dictionary.com. The last straw came when my Google Toolbar
> vanished, along with the popup killer.
>
> I've tried Mozilla, and it has two characteristics I loathe. First, I
> couldn't get it to open new windows for each Google search items I
> click on, so I often have to redo the search, second, Mozilla, like
> AOL, seems set up to stick to the my system like glue or stepping on
> gum (or more odious sidewalk stuff)
>
> I'd like clues for a rather basic browser, one which will let me use
> Explorer when I want its fancy features, but most of my browsing is
> fine with no music, animations, etc, just static pages.
>
> Any suggestions? And where to get them? Many thanks.

1) get the heck off windows for your browsing whenever possible;
2) never ever use IE, especially on windows.  besides being a major
known infection vector it is grossly dated relative to other browsers
such as FireFox.

in FireFox shift-click on a link opens it in a new window and
ctrl-click opens it in a new tab.  So i don't see why you had the
problem reported above.