[extropy-chat] Creating Transhumanity

Dirk Bruere dirk at neopax.com
Tue May 10 01:22:14 UTC 2005

Max More wrote:

> At 07:23 PM 5/8/2005, Dirk wrote:
>
>> For my second I'm writing a book on magick where the last chapter
>> will be an analysis of Transhumanism as the modern day 'Great Work'
>> of alchemy.
>> I expect to be excommunicated from the list upon publication...
>

> That's an odd think to expect (unless there's something you're not
> telling us).
>
> I've often made parallels with the alchemists and their three goals of
> transmuting the elements, achieving flight, and immortality. I like to
> say: two down, one to go.
>
> The alchemists were pre-scientific, of course, but had their heart in
> the right place.

Only (half) joking.
My political efforts and opinions were enough to get me forced off the
WTA list.
I also plan to precis that rather cutting article that compared
Transhumanism to the Gnostic tradition.
I note that when that one did the rounds on the list it was most
unpopular, but I still think it holds more than a grain of truth.
Anyway, I'll recommend the Extropy Inst as the preferred org if any
reader is keen on lending a hand. Maybe ExI will become a branch of the
OTO :-)

--
Dirk

The Consensus:-