[extropy-chat] Car of the (near) future

giorgio gaviraghi giogavir at yahoo.it
Thu May 26 17:07:12 UTC 2005

i am working on a n environment plannning project
caled terraforming planet earth.
part of it we mention future personal transportation
system
i am sending a draft .
comments and feedbacks are welcome
Giorgio
Personal transportation vehicle (PTV)
Car diffusion in recent times have created more
problems than benefits.
Originally the introduction of the car,
enthusiastically received by all societies and the
symbol of the beginning of its affluence allowing
unlimited mobility and personal  freedom improving
everybody’s lifestyles.
Entire cities, especially in the USA with its suburban
society, were built around the car.
Commuting for work, schooling , using the car for
weekly shopping at commercial centers, for week end
and long distance vacations became the way of life for
the large majority of the population.
Car diffusion has reached saturation points in many
areas, in particular in North America, western Europe,
Japan and Korea with a diffusion rate of 1 car per 2
people.
Using such standard we can see that there is still a
lot of room for increasing car diffusion especially in
those areas that are developing at fast rates such as
the former communist Europeans countries, India, China
and other South East Asian countries.
To reach saturation point for all the existing
population of 6 billion people we would require 3
billion cars against the existing 400 million.
Such numbers will only exponentially increase current
problems discussed later on.
In reality the car is part of a more complex system
involving roads, highways, bridges, tunnels,
refuelling, maintenance, insurance, first aid,
traffic, parking, tolls and others that have not keep
the same pace of progress that the car diffusion.
The increased car diffusion has lead to major problems
such as the high rate of accidents with its related
death and incapacity toll, extreme pollution that has
obliged many cities to impose traffic bans to reduce
the air composition to breathable conditions, waste of
precious non renewable resources like oil and gas,
their high costs for production and transportation
with additional pollution consequences, high costs for
the fuel itself, for the car acquisition, its
maintenance, insurance, tolls and other related  items
connected to its utilization.
W have reached a paradoxically situation in societies
where fuel costs reached 6$ per gallon.
We need the car for going to work, but we are working
mostly to support the car itself.
We must break this vicious circle with an innovative
approach going back to the basics, especially
considering that the car is a mobility instrument that
cannot be eliminated but must be at the service of all
the community..
What is the purpose of the car?
To move a limited amount of people, from one location
to another,
Such function must be performed in the safest way,
without wasting unnecessary non renewable resources
(oil and gas) moving oversized and heavy vehicles,
avoiding traffic jams, at the lowest possible costs to
the user and to the community, without polluting the
environment in the process.
Such assumptions easily demonstrate that no car in the
market today satisfy all the above goals.
The most successful cars in history, the Ford T and
the Volswagen answered the first question essential
for the time of their introduction.
At the moment the car diffusion and people dependence
on it has changed completely such picture.
We need a completely new PTV that answer all goals in
an integrated and more complex transportation system.

Let’s define the design goals for the new PTV:
-limited size
the minimum size  and minimum weight in accordance wit
ergonomic factors