[extropy-chat] Aging as a function of bone marrow degradation

Lifespan Pharma Inc/ MFJ-CTO megao at sasktel.net
Thu Nov 10 17:36:32 UTC 2005

Actually I have been thinking about this for many years (over 2
decades)  and what  has to be done is to put the body into
near hibernation state and slow metabolism to a crawl.  The introduced
cells have to be able to function at a high
rate even under these conditions and perhaps even have a metabolism that
either stops or self-destructs at
normal body temperatures and metabolism as a failsafe.  The body
metabolism over perhaps a month might be equivalent to an hour while the
introduced cells are working at breakneck speed and may be able do a
years work over that month.

These cells would have to metabolize energy sources that the body would
otherwise consider inert.
The introduced cells should have to be able to carry away, or
metabolize  dangerous  waste biological products of the
hibernating body as well.
Just think about the creation of several  separate secondary
"programmable" armies of specialized minicells.
We use the term nanobot without the slightest clue as to what they might
be or how they would operate so this is quite in line with that concept.
What we might have to do is provide them with an environment where they
can work efficiently
and with undue interference from normal body processes.

Indeed it might take interaction with a number of supervisory systems
ranging from MRI type scanners , and AI complexity
oversight to move this process from start to finish without killing the
customer.

A new stem cell population would need to be grown beforehand, perhaps in
a controlled way sequestered in the body
much like an encapsulated tumor or embryo and harvested prior to the
regerarative procedure.
And the leuekemia analogy is a good one, perhaps we shall find
deliberate creation of a cancerous stem cell
population the best way to create a large population of embyonic case
type cells to infuse back. Remember, cancer cells
can slither around and take root in all manner of places in the body
quite efficiently.  The trick is to be able to turn on and off this
mechanism on demand.

I think  that  with the convergence of technologies at a singularity
level with AI level computational capacity there is hope to
create this level of sophistication in the mangement of biological systems.

I did not say that this would be easy.

Just remember that what we consider normal in terms of computer chips
and their functions would have been
considered magic or witchcraft  and idle fantasy as little as 100 years ago.

Morris.