[extropy-chat] Aging as a function of bone marrow degradation

Brett Paatsch bpaatsch at bigpond.net.au
Thu Nov 10 09:47:58 UTC 2005

  From: Lifespan Pharma Inc/ MFJ-CTO
  To: ExI chat list
  Sent: Thursday, November 10, 2005 6:50 PM
  Subject: [extropy-chat] Aging as a function of bone marrow degradation

  But that's the challenge, to switch every body cell on as a totipotent cancer cell similtaneously, slow down the metabolism so
  none divides,   circulate a swarm of autoimmune cells to tag defective cells for future destruction, reset all the switches
  , crank up the metabolism and send in the scavenger cells to wack out the burned out cells and infuse a new batch of stem cells
  into every tissue to rebuild tissues.  A massive order, but like with  "Doctor Who" it is steady state-evolution which will replace
  natural selection by death or illness.  The trick is to maintain  the memory and consciousness of the brain through this
  housecleaning operation.

"Every body cell" would give you a base set of around 100 trillion cells.

Lets say you wanted to switch every body cell to a cancer cell (I don't think
that even makes sense - but lets say), how would you do it?  With what
hormone or molecule?  Or are you thinking nanobots?

How would you slow down metabolism so no cells divide? Metabolism
works in such a way that when cells stop getting fed (glucose levels in
blood are low) some cells (in the liver say) go into glucose or ketone
bodies from fat production specifically to fed other cells (like brain cells)
so that they wont die when there is no dietary glucose available.
Or by slowing down metabolism did you mean cryonics?

Where do your autoimmune cells that are to do the tagging to come
from themselves (you stopped cell division -somehow- remember)? What
cell markers are they to zero in on?  If you've made *every* cell cancerous
how many macrophage/eater cells are you going to have to have ? How do
you imagine they'll fit geometrically in the body made of other cells?

Are your scavenger cells "carrying" the new batch of stem cells? How
are they getting through the blood brain barrier?

I am not even slightly an expert in this area but I think I know enough
to recognize that what you have said above doesn't make any biological
sense.

I mean no offense but it seems like you might be repeating something
that you have heard someone else say which didn't make sense but
which you didn't understand well enough to realise that it didn't make
sense.

Brett Paatsch