[extropy-chat] Extropy, Political Viewpoint and the Futureof ExI'sList

Dirk Bruere dirk.bruere at gmail.com
Tue Oct 11 15:25:56 UTC 2005

On 10/11/05, nvitamore at austin.rr.com <nvitamore at austin.rr.com> wrote:

> From: Dirk Bruere
>
> >The fact that is that it is both a philosophical *and* political
> ideology.
> >As I wrote on the Consensus site, Transhumanism will be the major
> political
> >issue of this century. Any org that wishes to encompass this aim cannot
> >escape being political. Transhumanism is about both technology and
> politics.
>
> I cannot settle for less than what extropy could represent if it were
> truly
> a futurist political means for dealing with the future of transhumanism.
> Currently, there are no hard and clear tools. There could be, but they
> have
> not been developed. To realize this goal - creating a future-oriented
> political viewpoint for extropy - would require a team of people
> (multidisciplinary would be preferred) who have experience and knowledge
> about society, how it works, the nature of transhumanism - what its
> stakeholders need, and what is possible and preferable. To realize a truly
> extropic political agenda, or a political agenda that is Extropy - there
> would have to be some clear-headed, sophisticated, relevant and meaningful
> models that expressly emphasize and illustrate a political agenda for
> transhumanism.
>
> Until this is realized, if it is going to be realized, extropy, in my
> view,
> is more of a philosophical viewpoint - outlook - than a political agenda.
>
> Having a civil and constructive brain-trust of thought on this would be
> far
> more beneficial in realizing the future of Extropy.

I'm not sure that such a thing is required, except possibly on a national
basis as a tailoring of Extropy to the local political scene. In such a
case, every interpretation will be different. I don't think there can, at
present, be any global political interpretation of ExI. However, that does
not make it apolitical - far from it.

IMO the discourse of the ExI document is rather like a 21st century version
of the Communist Manifesto. For those who have never read it
http://www.anu.edu.au/polsci/marx/classics/manifesto.html

Dirk