[extropy-chat] Email Postage

Samantha Atkins sjatkins at mac.com
Tue Feb 7 20:23:54 UTC 2006

On Feb 7, 2006, at 10:24 AM, Robert Bradbury wrote:

> Ok, this news item clarifies things:
>
> http://www.physorg.com/news10601.html
>
> The plan is for Yahoo & AOL to charge *senders* between $.0025 and
> $.01 per message for guaranteed delivery.  This is a *sender pays*
> model (just like normal mail).  What you are paying for is:
> a) Bypassing of spam filters that might reject your messages.
> b) Sender Guarantees.  I.e. that Yahoo/AOL make sure that if it
> goes directly into your inbox (bypassing the SPAM filters) that it
> is from a "real sender".  I.e. The Red Cross requesting donations
> really is the Red Cross and not someone pretending to be them.

So I can get guaranteed spam deliveries that would be filtered
today?  Hmm.  So roughly as long as

avg_pos_value * percent_response >  (1 - percent_response) *
message_cost

it is profitable to send spam.   And I am guaranteed delivery thus
raising effective percent_response.  Such a deal.   Do I have that
right?

- samantha