[extropy-chat] META: ExI List Quality & Future

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Mon Feb 20 19:11:21 UTC 2006

On 2/20/06, Giu1i0 Pri5c0 wrote:
> Natasha, pleeeeease! Nooooooo! Don't do this! This is the wrong way to go!!!
> OK listen on:

> I value the diversity on this list, and even the occasional passionate debate.
> If this list is transformed into an invitation-only list, I am afraid
> it will soon degenerate in a small group of people who preach to the
> converted. Not very effective for spreading our worldview.
> We want immortality, uploading, merging flesh with sand, freedom (yes
> I am a leftwinger and I want freedom, I may have occasionally tried to
> explain what I mean), endless discovery and exploration, and leaving
> many old things behind. But I don't want to want what I want like an
> ostrich who stick his head in the sand because it is afraid to see the
> world. I want to continue wanting what I want *after* having heard,
> and considered, other points of view, sometimes defending the old
> things we wish to leave behind. Perhaps we can learn a couple of
> things that we can integrate in our own worldview..
> If you wish to create something like a focused working group, fine, I
> think it would be a very good initiative. But please, *besides* and
> not *instead of* the public list.
> G.

I like the diversity also.

But the present extropy-chat needs a Terminator to banish the trolls
and timewasters. No endless discussion about 'Should we, shouldn't
we?', 'Is this post off-topic, or might we be able to allow it?'  If
in doubt, just ban them from posting for week on first offence, no
questions allowed.  No public arguing about Terminator decisions
allowed either. His/her decision is final.

Sure, occasionally someone might be unfairly treated, but it's not
like it's a death sentence, is it?

The signal to noise ratio would improve instantly.

The only thing to watch out for is the Terminator going insane and
terminating at random. Then the list owners would have to
strait-jacket the Terminator. :)

BillK