[extropy-chat] Putting God to Rest

Stathis Papaioannou stathisp at gmail.com
Mon Apr 23 11:06:44 UTC 2007

On 4/23/07, Robert Bradbury <robert.bradbury at gmail.com> wrote:

It's one thing for scientists to simply regard religion as irrelevant to
> > their work, but when they start to talk about transcending biology and
> > living forever, that might sound to a believer like a rerun of Satan's
> > rebellion against God.
> >

> Though I am sure there are some readers of the Bible or Koran who could
> cite "Satan's rebellion against God" in detail (Spike perhaps?) I suspect a
> majority only is aware of it in a very loose sense (speaking as someone
> brought up in a "traditional" Irish Catholic framework.)  It is only those
> who know those writings in depth (and happen to believe in them) where
> transhumanism is a problematic rerun.
>
> The goal before transhumanists is to displace "belief in fantasy" with
> "belief in science".  It is a simple transformation of "We can never go to
> the moon." to "We have walked on the moon.".

Sure, I've been an atheist since birth, but there are a lot of people who
believe in God and Satan, especially in America, and I'd be interested in
hearing their views on transhumanism should any be reading this.

Stathis Papaioannou