[ExI] fermi paradox

Kevin Freels kevin at kevinfreels.com
Sun Dec 9 06:04:27 UTC 2007

> Do you understand how science works?
Yes. And science does something really neat. Over time, we learn new and
exciting things. We learn to do things that were previously thought
impossible. And the last I checked, it was not a regular practice to
totally disregard the improbable as if it were impossible. Saying that
ALL civilizations destroy themselves because we can't see ANY  is just
too big of a leap. Saying that there we are ALONE based on such a small
amount of data (relatively) is a big leap as well. Especially this early
in the game. I don't pretend to know the answer. But I am not confounded
by the paradox either. I simply think we have much more to learn before
we can draw that line. If we don't blow ourselves up and we run into
other civilizations in the the future I will be proven right. If
humanity dies, I may have been wrong. But even then it wouldn't be certain.

> Does negative proof ring a bell?

    That was my point. Negative proof doesn't work. But just because I
can't prove something doesn't mean it doesn't exist. It may mean that I
lack the tools or the knowledge to prove it. But again, I am not stating
that I can prove the paradox is wrong right at this moment. I am looking
at this from a historical perspective and seeing that the paradox may
only a problem because we make too many assumptions. Our technology is
still young.
> If it't not observable, even in principle, we don't have to spend any thought on it.
> There is an infinity of such things, and our resources are very finite.

Again, not true. I didn't say it was not observable at all. Only very
difficult to observe with our current tools. Again, there is a
difference. Why all the black and white reasoning? If no one spent
thought on anything except what they could readily observe with the
tools they already had, where would we be?

> None, unfortunately.

lol. You do have a sense of humor. I apologize.

> Any particular reason you top-posted this, without trimming citations?

Yes. I was accessing from work though a webmail account and it was
giving me all sorts of formatting trouble and would error forcing me to
start over. After a few attempts I just top-posted to get the brief
version of what I wanted to say out.