[ExI] fermi paradox

John K Clark jonkc at att.net
Mon Dec 10 22:11:36 UTC 2007

Kevin Freels Wrote:

> Life doesn't fit into nice little boxes like that.

Life is not the issue, intelligence is. Life came to the Earth almost as
soon as the planet was born but during most of its history all it had was
bacteria; and if you visited the place just a million years ago, which is
nothing in its 4.5 billion year history, you would find no intelligent
species.

> To get where you are you have to make even more assumptions.

I am assuming nothing I am just making an observation, I observe that the
universe has not been engineered and I find that puzzling if intelligence is
common. If we are not the first then I can only conclude that something
puts a lid on brain power and prevents it from erecting large scale
structures. I can speculate but I make no claim to know what that
something is, it could be that no human mind could understand it.

 John K Clark