[ExI] simulation

Bryan Bishop kanzure at gmail.com
Sat Dec 15 16:53:24 UTC 2007

On Thursday 29 November 2007, hkhenson wrote:
> To scope the problem, the area of the brain surface is about quarter
> of a square meter, the cortical columns are spaced about 0.03 mm in a
> hexagonal array.  Figure about a thousand of them to the sq mm. There
> are a million sq mm to a sq m. So if you had 250 H+ programmers, each
> of them would have to be managing a million cortical column
> simulations.
>
> Please check my numbers.
>
> If you have any suggestions about how to reduced the difficulty of
> the project, please post them.

No, I do not have any ideas. We do not have enough computing power. We'd
need to have some way of inserting more nodes onto the internet so that
we could do such a project. It might be possible to have a
self-replicating factory that builds computational nodes for this very
project. What projects can we do first to assure us that making enough
nodes to run those 250mil sims would be useful?

- Bryan