[ExI] simulation

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Sat Dec 15 17:06:14 UTC 2007

On Sat, Dec 15, 2007 at 10:53:24AM -0600, Bryan Bishop wrote:

> No, I do not have any ideas. We do not have enough computing power. We'd
> need to have some way of inserting more nodes onto the internet so that

no, No, NO. You're not listening. Brain simulations aren't embarassingly
parallel. You'd need some few kNodes, each with <1 us latency, and
some 10 GBytes/s throughput. On WAN, you'd get some 10-100 ms, and
few 10 kByte/s thoughput.

To be blunt, this kills it dead. You need to use very large scale
distributed resources correctly, orelse you're wasting their
strenghts.

> we could do such a project. It might be possible to have a
> self-replicating factory that builds computational nodes for this very

Whoa, whoa, whoa. Once we have these, then we're right in the
middle of that Singularity already. Self-rep is hard, and it's
mostly a control issue on macroscale, and a bootstrap issue on
nanoscale. We can't do either yet.