[ExI] Cold fusion: some new results.

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Wed May 9 06:24:56 UTC 2007

On Tue, May 08, 2007 at 02:12:31PM -0700, A B wrote:

> Wouldn't cold fusion be a direct and obvious violation
> of conservation of energy? You could just keep fusing

It's turning mass defect directly into energy, via E=mc^2.
Fusing lighter elements gives you more mass defect.

Heavier elements fission, releasing energy. There
is an island of stability, around iron:

	http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binding_energy

> the lighter elements and then eventually recover the
> input energy by fissioning (fissing?) the
> heavy-element end products. I know that it requires
> more input energy the heavier the element gets, but

You can't make energy from iron & Co via nuclear processes.
About the only way to turn iron mass into energy is by
matter-energy conversion via Hawking radiation (which has
not yet been observed, and might not exist).