[ExI] Beowulf

spike spike66 at att.net
Thu Nov 22 06:20:51 UTC 2007

> bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of hkhenson
> Subject: Re: [ExI] Beowulf
>
> At 08:53 PM 11/21/2007, spike wrote:
>
> snip
>
> >...  Peace thru more and better stuff.
>
> It's not that simple. Given the environment that shaped our mental
> mechanisms, chances are we respond to future prospects. Good
> prospects, no war, bad ones, xenophobic war memes build up... Keith

Keith, I have a question regarding a news story that has been making the
rounds last couple days.  It seems to be causing xenophobic war memes having
nothing to do with future prospects.  In terms of conflicts between
societies and EP, how do we deal with the case of the Saudi woman who was
sentenced to 100 lashes for the crime of being raped?  Then when she
appealed the absurd sentence, they doubled it to 200?

http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/meast/11/21/saudi.rape.lawyer/index.html

On a weird tangent, I wondered this evening how they administer such a
sentence to a woman in those psychotically uptight middle eastern countries.
Do they apply the lashes with the woman fully clothed?  Or do they have
female whip wielders?  If the latter, how did the woman become a whip
wielder to start with?  Are all the witnesses to the sentence female?  If
so, would not they realize the injustice in the sentence, and simply have
the prisoner scream in feigned agony while they schwacked the floor?  How
could any male person verify the sentence had been carried out without
violating the same psychopathic principles that brought about the sentence?
What if a person is born ambiguously gendered in those societies?  Do they
get some rights to go outside sometimes?  Can such a person give permission
for a female relative to go outside?  If two ambiguously gendered persons
live together there, can they give each other half permission to go out, or
do they need to accompany each other?

So complicated is this.