[ExI] Beowulf EP

hkhenson hkhenson at rogers.com
Thu Nov 22 13:04:51 UTC 2007

At 11:02 PM 11/21/2007, spike wrote:

> > So no matter how much stuff we have, any prospects of less stuff next
> > year will set off the mechanisms leading to wars.
> >
> > Keith
>
>Ja, that is how I understood it.  But unlike all other approaches to world
>peace I have ever seen, including pacifism, religion, MAD, etc, the notion
>that we could continuously produce more and better stuff indefinitely seems
>downright achievable.  Achievable is an understatement, it is foreseeable.

Maybe. Just more stuff won't do it if the population is going up
faster than the wealth since the trip is dependent on average
population outlook. Short term we are in for a rough time because of
the carbon and energy crisis. From an engineering perspective there
are ways or at least a way to solve the problems. Effectively we eat
energy. I could see the population dropping by 2-4 billion over a
couple of decades  if they are not solved.

But a lot of the world is already in "bleak prospects" -> xenophobia
-> war or related social responses such as terrorism. The problem
with our stone-age evolved psychological mechanisms is that they
adversely affect our ability to think rationally when turned on.

Keith