[ExI] How to get a healthy country

David Lubkin extropy at unreasonable.com
Tue Oct 16 18:55:44 UTC 2007

Foreign Policy reported:

>Health headlines are more likely to focus on countries that have
>worsening HIV epidemics or that play host to the latest disease
>outbreak. But in a select few places, longevity and fitness trump
>viruses and early deaths. In this week's List, FP examines five
>countries that boast the cleanest bills of health.

leading Bill K to ask:

>OK, Japan, France, Iceland and Sweden, fine.
>
>But Cuba???? How did they do it?

First, the article doesn't say these are the *top* five. If you look
at the full list that Sergio pointed us to, Cuba is #33.

Which still seems too high, relative to where the US and New Zealand
are. I have my suspicions. I spent a few minutes on the WHO site, but
can neither confirm nor deny them, and am not inclined to delve further.

The press release from WHO doesn't say where they got the numbers
from that the report was based on. I suspect that, particularly for a
country like Cuba, WHO relies on numbers provided to them from the
government. I further suspect that Cuba is lying wildly in any such
reporting, given the nature and history of the regime there and the
known monumental distortions, exaggerations, and fabrications of
similar regimes. (There is no famine in Ukraine. There are no gays in
Iran. These are not the drones you're looking for.)

-- David.