[ExI] abandoning hope

David C. Harris dharris234 at mindspring.com
Mon Oct 29 03:12:45 UTC 2007

This may help.  According to
http://forum.wordreference.com/archive/index.php/t-90044.html, this
participant sounded authoritative:

22nd January 2006, 02:42 AM,
Tommaso Gastaldi:
Yes that's correct. The original is: "Lasciate ogne speranza, voi
ch'intrate"

When we use it in speech (not rarely), we usually use the modern
version: "Lasciate ogni speranza o voi che entrate"
[but I guess that nobody could object if you use the original one!
In that case it's better to fully quote, otherwise one could think you
are mispelling, because "Lasciate ogni speranza" alone does not
necessarily refers to Dante :) ]

Esempi:
http://www.aduc.it/dyn/giannino/giannino_base.php?id=113241
http://fighe.iobloggo.com/

T, my memory definitely had it as "lasciate ogne speranza, voi
ch'intrate", Dante not having been that familiar with modern spelling.

I'm going to go look....all my books are in boxes at the moment.

This would seem to confirm "ogne"

http://www.cilea.it/~bottoni/inferno03.htm