[ExI] a book of possible interest

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Wed Dec 31 02:49:03 UTC 2008

At 07:33 PM 12/30/2008 -0700, John Grigg wrote:

>I hope everyone here owns this slender tome because it really is excellent.

Why, thank you, John!

>as I write this my roommate is watching a Harry Potter film, which
>along with the books are the bane of Damien's existence!  ; )

Not really, I watched the most recent Potter movies on TV and found
them passably entertaining. I'm pretty sure I'd still be bored by the
books. I even liked the flick about the Jesus Cat, the Witch and the
Closet, and the first Pullman movie was bloody marvelous.

I've recently been watching Seasons 1, 2 and 3 of the post 2005
DOCTOR WHO on Netflix (instant download, no fiddling about with DVDs
in the mail), and they're surprisingly good, when the writers can
drag themselves away from the sucking moronic vortex of backstory
Daleks and clanking Cybermen. Some of the eps brought a tear to my
lips and a sob to my hardened old eyes. What *is* deeply depressing
is how anti-transhuman the usual ideology is: extended life (except
for the doctor) is Evil, cyborging turns people into chanting idiots
that wish only to kill and maim--what archaic Luddite bullshit is *that*?

Damien Broderick