[ExI] Medical Costs and the end of humanity

hkhenson hkhenson at rogers.com
Thu Feb 21 11:58:13 UTC 2008

At 07:13 PM 2/20/2008, you wrote:

>Thanks Keith, I enjoyed the story when you first posted the link. I
>thought it was
>very cool that such a thing would even enter your head! :)  It was quite vivid
>enough to give me good mental pictures and to make me laugh with
>delight at the
>growing of the clinic.

Glad you liked it.  It's what comes out of being aware of nanotech
and related since the late 70s.

>My only difficulty with the actuality of living in such a world is
>that I rather
>enjoy cooking and gardening and other very hands-on pursuits (such
>as playing with
>my cats or my snakes). It's not clear that virtual gardening or
>cooking will be as
>satisfying. Perhaps it will be, I've just not experienced it yet.
>
>Maybe I'm just way too old-fashioned!

The clinic seed is a flashback chapter to explain the main story
which is about a world where most of the population has gone like the
African villagers, but a small number, about 1 % of current
population are living in the physical world raising children.  The
virtual world is so seductive that it's hard to maintain a population
at all, but the "power that be" whoever and whatever they may be want
to keep some human population in the world for reasons that are never
clear.  Perhaps some real world presence is desired for esthetic reasons.

This section is not in nearly as good a shape as the clinic seed
story, but if you want to read it, ask.

Keith