[ExI] Taking AI to the Next Level - The First Conference on AGI

spike spike66 at att.net
Sun Feb 24 06:57:08 UTC 2008

> Natasha Vita-More
> Subject: Re: [ExI] Taking AI to the Next Level - The First
> Conference on AGI
>
> Keith Henson wrote:
>
> >It was without a doubt the most benighted city I know about
>
> This comment is inappropriate and ulgy.
>
> Natasha

I googled on the case and found Keith was referring to one I read about at
the time.  City of Memphis employees found they could download pornography
off of the internet.  Pornography that was illegal in that particular
district!  Therefore the owner of that bulletin boardwas legally liable.
(Bulletin boards, remember those?  They were the text predecessors of
websites.) By that decision the internet content provider was responsible
for figuring out how to prevent the downloading of one's content in any
district in which it is illegal.  Most of us here have posted stuff on ExI
which would be illegal somewhere on this planet.  Terrible legal decision,
terrible.