[ExI] Upon pondering your freedoms

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Sat Jul 5 06:45:10 UTC 2008

At 10:53 PM 7/4/2008 -0700, Spike wrote:

>Five of the nine supreme court
>justices ruled recently that the "right to keep and bear arms shall not be
>infringed" means exactly what it says.  We have reason to be optimistic.
>Now if we can boot the four who apparently do not understand the meaning of
>shall not be infringed

I wonder if you could clarify one small point, Spike, for the sake of
a visiting outlander. What was meant by that strangely anomalous
opening passage "A well regulated militia, being necessary to the
security of a free state"? I just can't make out what it can possibly
be doing there in a statement of *individual* freedom that otherwise,
as you indicate, is so uncompromising and clearcut.

Damien Broderick