[ExI] Feel Safer Now?

Gary Miller aiguy at comcast.net
Mon Mar 17 02:49:14 UTC 2008

Mike asked:

<< Do you also expect to be gunned down because you happen to have a square
bottle of Fiji water in your hand, when the police on have experience with
cylindrical water bottles?  Or are you going to tell me that you're not
allowed to carry liquids through an airport, and that infraction of rules
warrants being murdered via misunderstanding?

If we're going to start shooting people for being stupid then just admit
you've got a plan to significantly reduce the human population.
I hate to admit it, but I am enough of a realist to look around.

First of all you can't carry a container of liquid under a certain size
through the gate.  Once past the security checkpoint you can buy larger
containers in the airport shops as long as you don't have to go through
security again for a connecting flight at another airport.  But if someone
was carrying a large square container of water how does security know that
it isn't nitroglycerin?  Of course shooting at you if your carrying nitro
isn't the smartest thing to do either but they would command you to halt and
probably draw their guns to let you know they meant business.  But if you
refused to set the container down and step away from it, they would probably
attempt to evacuate the concourse and call in a negotiator.  Even if it
turned out to be water they could still prosecute you creating a situation
and sue you for damages for flight delays caused by your refusal to obey
security and violation of security rules.  It's hard to plead ignorance
because they tell you this stuff when you pick up your ticket.

As for people dying because of stupidity look at how many people die due to
drunk driving, not knowing the gun was loaded, mixing too many different
kinds of pills together, smoking in bed.  Stupid people are going to find a
way to off themselves anyway.  And then there's the people who try to get
their king size sex toys through the metal detectors and die of
embarrassment.