[ExI] "Intelligent" computers put to the test

spike spike66 at att.net
Mon Oct 6 03:39:25 UTC 2008

> ...On Behalf Of
> Spargemeister
> Subject: Re: [ExI] "Intelligent" computers put to the test
>
> On Sun, Oct 5, 2008 at 12:50 PM, Olga Bourlin
> > Programmers try to fool human interrogators:
> >

> http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2008/oct/05/artificialintelligenc
> > eai
>
> Wow...Ultra HAL is less convincing than Eliza.
>
> -Dave

Ja, that's what I thought too Dave.  Eliza is what, well over thirty years
old now?  Old enough that she had already been forgotten by the early 90s,
and a generation of college students came along who had never heard of her,
although their parents had fun with her in college.  Have we made no
progress in all those years?  Eliza fooled plenty of college students into
thinking she was human.

Consider how simple it would be to make an enormous lookup table using excel
and filling in the table using text downloaded from a teen chat site.  It
wouldn't even require any tricky programming, just a huge lookup table.  I
could imagine generating a very convincing conversationalist, at least on
the level one sees in a typical chat group.