[ExI] A critical book you should all read

Jef Allbright jef at jefallbright.net
Sat Oct 11 12:18:21 UTC 2008

On Thu, Oct 9, 2008 at 8:55 AM, R. Mark Adams, Ph.D.
<rmadams at epotential.com> wrote:
> Well- you can get an electronic edition for the Kindle:
>
> Also Available in:      List Price:     Our Price:      Other Offers:
> Kindle Edition (Kindle Book)            $15.42
>
> Not that the general point is inaccurate- namely that the electronic
> edition is limited to a closed platform, rather thhisan something broadly
> available beyond a single kind of device.  There is nothing wrong with
> making money on one's writings, but it seems reasonable to have those
> writings available, using open standards, on as many platforms as
> possible...

Mark, thanks for your correction on the specific -- I didn't see the
Kindle edition available, and I went with another commenter's
observation that there was no Kindle version available (as of May
2008.)  And yes, we're in agreement on the general -- that the Kindle,
being a closed **hardware** platform, is far from the increasingly
frictionless view espoused by the book.

I purchased the hardback dead-tree edition.  This to be scanned and
OCRd as with the several hundred other items already in my personal
library, for the benefits of portability, ubiquity, annotation,
search, and cross-referencing.

Oh for the days of Xanadu, that never was.

- Jef