[ExI] Catholic critique of Transhumanism

John Grigg possiblepaths2050 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 19 07:05:16 UTC 2008

I'm not sure if this critique of Transhumanism from a Roman Catholic
perspective was ever mentioned on the list.  Please tell me what you
think...

an excerpt:
"Lines of communication need to be opened between Christian bioethicists and
transhumanists.  Cameron, for example, calls Kurzweil "a man of genius" and
"no mere academic theorist."  while Kurzweil makes the surprising statement
that through human-driven evolution, people "grow exponentially in
intelligence, knowledge, creativity, beauty, and love, all of the qualities
people ascribe to God without limit," implying that "we can view evolution
as a spiritual process, moving ever closer to this ideal."  Men of this
intellectual stature need forums in which they can communicate with each
other.  (To be fair, Cameron is already in contact with WTA president Nick
Bostrom and others, but he's one of the only pro-life leaders doing so).

http://www.holyspiritinteractive.net/columns/guests/ericpavlat/superhuman.asp

John Grigg