[ExI] I am now a creationist

Florent Berthet florent.berthet at gmail.com
Fri Apr 3 22:10:09 UTC 2009

Agreed.
Though, even if we managed to get together all the french transhumanists
regardless of their kinds or traditions, we would hardly get close to the
proportion of transhumanists there are in the US. But anyway, these ideas
deserve to get much more attention, in all the countries.
That's why I'm pretty sure now that what we really need is a great
transhuman utopian movie, where things actually GO well, and about which
people would think "Wow, if only we could have that!". Then, it could only
be a matter of time before some rich folks start to fund things like the
Singularity Institute and other AGI related projects. Because now,
obviously, they are not moved by these ideas. It seems like we can't
convince rich guys to give money using clever arguments. And since they
don't think that funding an AGI project will make them earn money, the only
way to make them give anyway is to use feelings. Indeed, they may see the
act of giving money as charity. But you don't manage charity with arguments,
you manage it with tears, whether they are tears of sadness, or tears of
hope. You don't make people give money to the starving children by saying
"thousands of them die each day". You make them give money by showing them a
picture of ONE starving little girl. That's the way it is. We have to use
the power of pictures. This would be the most effective way to expand this
movement around the world.

Florent Berthet