[ExI] TECHNOPHOBIA!

Dan dan_ust at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 17 17:10:43 UTC 2009

--- On Thu, 4/16/09, Damien Broderick <thespike at satx.rr.com> wrote:
> I just noticed the existence of this
> absurd book (an evaluation I make only on the basis of
> reviews):
>
> TECHNOPHOBIA!: Science Fiction Visions of Posthuman
> Technologies, by Daniel Dinello - University of Texas Press
> (2005).

[snip]

I prefer to read the book, but it strikes me that Dinello, if the review is accurate, is guilty of assuming that most SF writers agree with his views.  I've seen this pattern before in otherwise intelligent people -- where they presume that someone else, usually someone they admire, obviously agrees with their moral or political (or even aesthetic) beliefs.

One rather funny case is a close friend of mine who feels all the films of Kubrick evince a benevolent sense of life -- meaning that the world and life they depict is cherry and successful, the good win and the bad don't, all the pain is transient, etc.  (My friend was influenced by Rand and her views on art.)  I don't know about you, but I don't get that from watching, e.g., "The Killing" or "2001: A Space Odyssey."

Regards,

Dan