[ExI] Artificial Intelligence Cracks 4,000-Year-Old Mystery

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Sun Apr 26 09:30:48 UTC 2009

On 4/26/09, spike wrote:
> Lee I don't know how to estimate the probability of such a thing happening
>  by chance, and have changed my mind on it at least twice, but currently I
>  think Billy did this himself.  He had the sense of humor to do something
>  like this.  How many of you out there think this 46/46/46/46 is a
>  coincidence?  Any idea how to guesstimate the probability?

Numerology is fascinating, and by diligent searching you can find
'codes' in everything.
William Shakespeare is an anagram of “Here was I, like a psalm.”

But don't throw commonsense out the window.

Let's start.
Did Bacon write Shakespeare's plays? Should you be looking for bacon? (Yummy!).
The Bible was *published* when Shakespeare was 46. The Psalms were
actually translated many years earlier.
It is not 46 words from the end. You have to drop the last 'Selah' to get 46.
The Hebrew words for 'shake' and 'spear' are common in the Old
Testament and are bound to be found together somewhere.
There is no documentation at all to associate Shakespeare with
translating the KJV Bible. He was not a Hebrew or Greek Bible scholar.

OK, so you're hesitating now. Maybe it was just coincidence.

Here's the clincher.

J. Karl Franson, writing in Word Ways (August 1994) revealed that in
an earlier English translation of the Bible, by Richard Taverner, all
the numerology given above was there! The Taverner translation was in
1559, 25 years before Shakespeare was born. The coincidences are more
astonishing when one learns that the wording of Psalm 46 is not the
same in the two translations!

(Richard Taverner (c. 1505 – July 14, 1575) is best known for his
bible translation, The Most Sacred Bible whiche is the holy scripture,
conteyning the old and new testament, translated into English, and
newly recognized with great diligence after most faythful exemplars)

BillK