[ExI] The symbol grounding problem in strong AI

Gordon Swobe gts_2000 at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 19 18:28:58 UTC 2009

--- On Sat, 12/19/09, John Clark <jonkc at bellsouth.net> wrote:

> You are entirely wrong. We most certainly
> can deduce consciousness from considering behavior
> alone because there is a HUGE amount of evidence in support
> of that idea

Does an amoeba have it? How about a virus?

>, there is a HUGE amount of
> evidence that evolution is true.

Yes, and so? This question has no bearing on the evolution vs creationism debate, a debate in which I certainly take your side as does Searle and everyone else whose intellect I admire.

> There is not the smallest particle of hard evidence in support of
> Searle but there is an enormous amount in favor of evolution. Searle
> doesn't dispute this, he just ignores Darwin

So you say.

You state above that you can deduce consciousness from behavior. You must think then that consciousness plays a role in human behavior (and reject epiphenomenalism as does Searle), else you could not deduce its existence from behavior. (I think you mean infer, not deduce, but anyway..)

You agree with Searle that consciousness exists and that it plays a role in human behavior. So what's your beef with him regarding evolution?

-gts