[ExI] The symbol grounding problem in strong AI

John Clark jonkc at bellsouth.net
Sun Dec 20 06:02:03 UTC 2009

On Dec 19, 2009, at 1:28 PM, Gordon Swobe wrote:

> You state above that you can deduce consciousness from behavior. You must think then that consciousness plays a role in human behavior

Consciousness is a high level description as is pressure, but it is not the only valid description. It is true that pressure made the balloon expand but it is also true that air molecules hitting the inside of the balloon made it expand and molecules know nothing about pressure. It is true that I scratched my nose because I wanted too but its also true that it happened because an electrochemical signal was sent from my brain to the nerves in my hand.

> and reject epiphenomenalism as does Searle

No I do not, to say that the mind can move the body is an entirely reasonable way to describe whats going on but not the only way.

> else you could not deduce its existence from behavior.

I can deduce it but you and Searle cannot.

> I think you mean infer, not deduce, but anyway..

No, its a deduction not a inference. I deduce that evolution is true, I deduce that evolution is blind to consciousness and can only see behavior, I know from direct experience (which outranks both deduction and induction)  that evolution has produced consciousness at least once and probably many more times, therefore I conclude the consciousness MUST be a byproduct of intelligent behavior and you can't have intelligence without consciousness.

> You agree with Searle that consciousness exists

Of course it does. Some people claim not to believe in consciousness but I don't believe them and think they are just trying to be provocative. Everybody believes in consciousness.

>  and that it plays a role in human behavior. So what's your beef with him regarding evolution?

Searle says intelligent behavior is possible without consciousness, Darwin says it is not. I'm putting my money on Darwin.

 John K Clark