[ExI] Power sats and technological emigration

John K Clark jonkc at bellsouth.net
Tue Mar 24 15:11:21 UTC 2009

"Keith Henson" <hkhenson at rogers.com>

> The world uses about 15 TW of energy in all forms.
> [.]  If you replace 15  TW over 30 years, that's 500 GW/year.

Or we could build 500 nuclear power plants a year, a big job certainly but
not as big as power satellites; so after 30 years 100% of our energy would
come from nuclear fission. I'm not predicting that or advocating that, but
if nothing else works out it beats the hell out of civilization collapse and
billions freezing to death in the dark as some claim will happen is we don't
start building power satellites right now.

And don't tell me we'll run out of Uranium, we could always switch to
breeders or use Thorium. Those technologies have been proven to have the
ability to produce useful energy. Power satellites have not.

 John K Clark