[ExI] punishment

Stefano Vaj stefano.vaj at gmail.com
Wed Mar 25 13:14:31 UTC 2009

On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 12:26 PM, painlord2k at libero.it
<painlord2k at libero.it> wrote:
> The tiger kill on purpose, usually.

Why, except when it is Driving Under the Influence. :-)

>>> I propose treating the worst of humans as we do the best of animals
>>
>> I agree.
>
> I respectufully disagree.
> The best of the animals must be treated better than the worst of the humans,
> because they have a greater value for me or other humans than the worst of
> the humans.

I am inclined to to share Mirko's view, even though I am wary of
"objectivist", "universal" concepts or good and evil.

A good animal is rewarded, a bad human is punished, and it is just
monotheistic hypocrisy that we are doing it "for his own good".

Moreover, the contrary, specieist and "humanist" views are just an
ideological bias.

Irrespective of what utilitarians may have to say on the subject, and
as Peter Singer remarks, we go on feeding our pets while human beings
at the other end of the world may be starving. This reflects our
*actual* choice of values, and its taking into account proximity and
personal relationships over philosophical utilitarianism.

--
Stefano Vaj