[ExI] libertarians and inheritance

Dan dan_ust at yahoo.com
Mon May 4 21:17:32 UTC 2009

--- On Mon, 5/4/09, John K Clark <jonkc at bellsouth.net> wrote:
> "Dan" <dan_ust at yahoo.com>
>
> > he was completely anti-tax in other words, consistent,
> logical, and sane
>
> That is redundant.

And?

>> You will set aside your libertarian views when it
>> suits you.
>
> Fuck libertarian, I will set aside absolutely anything when
> it suits me, and
> the liberty I feel when I do that is breathtaking. I love
> it!

And how is this any different from any non-libertarian -- say, for example, a gangster or a fascist?

>> you are not a libertarian
>
> Buddy, I believe I could dance libertarian circles around
> you; at least
> nobody has beaten me on the libertarian matter on this list
> in the last 15
> years. Think I'm talking bullshit, well then challenge me!

My point was not meant to insult you; didn't mean for you to take this personally.  I certainly don't mean for you to get upset.  I was merely stating this: if you profess to be a libertarian and then proclaim you would set aside all things libertarian in a pinch, then you're not really a libertarian after all.  This is not a matter of whether you might be able to do libertarian analysis better than many (or even me) or whether you might work out where libertarian principles lead.  (E.g., I'm an atheist, but I've debated with Biblical literalists the meaning of this or that theological point.  Being able to do so doesn't require me to believe in God -- much less to become a Biblical literalist.)

Regards,

Dan