[ExI] The Circle of Coercion

painlord2k at libero.it painlord2k at libero.it
Sat May 9 23:29:58 UTC 2009

Il 09/05/2009 12.45, BillK ha scritto:
> On 5/9/09, painlord2k wrote:

> These libs do love their contracts, don't they?

When dealing with a government the contracts are subject to change
without notice. And, as Darth Vader put it, "Pray I don't change them
again!"

> Everybody is expected to have a filing cabinet full of contracts
> relating to every person, company, club, council, government office,
>  etc. that they deal with. And they all have to checked that they are
>  still up-to-date and valid.

We are very lucky that computer and internet exist, today.
They could manage all the contracts, look for interdependencies and
incompatibility. I suppose many contracts could be and will be
standardized as to make the life simpler for the sellers and the buyers.
I think that the number and types of contracts and their
interdependencies and incompatibilities will be much lesser than today
mess of laws and codes created by lawmakers and bureaucrats that have
the power to impose them to you.

For comparison,  I found this example of the current mess:

www.i2i.org/articles/IP_9_2005_b.pdf

> Colorado currently has some 30,000 laws filling more than 50 volumes
>  of the Colorado Revised Statutes, both criminal and regulatory.
> Every session, the Colorado General Assembly passes hundreds of new
> laws for government to enforce and citizens to both understand and
> obey

> The federal tax code (search) today covers 17,000 pages and requires
> over 700 different forms. The IRS estimates Americans spend 5.1
> billion hours annually merely preparing their taxes. The Tax
> Foundation estimates that those wasted hours drain some $194 billion
> annually from the U.S. economy. All of that comes before Joe Taxpayer
> forks over his first dime.

> The Federal Registry (search), which records all of the regulations
> the federal government imposes on businesses (all of which carry the
> force of law), now exceeds 75,000 pages. The Office of Management and
> Budget estimates that merely complying with these regulations — that
> is, paying lawyers to keep educated on them, interpret them and
> implement them — costs U.S. business another $500 to $600 billion per
> year.

Do you really believe that people would be able and willing to do worse
than this?

In Italy, we had 100.000 laws in the books (2005), but this is good,
because we had 200.000 laws in the books in the 1985.

The Vatican, this year, stopped to adopt "automatically" all the laws
enacted by Italy. "Italian laws are too many, changing and often
contradictory to each other, let alone those standards that in fact run
counter to Christian morality."

> And among these hundreds of contracts, they have to check carefully
> that no contract has terms that contradict the terms in any other
> contract. Then they have to worry about precedence. Which contract
> can override less important contracts? And perhaps, unknowingly,
> their contracts conflict with someone else's contracts? And all the
> contract conflicts for the population have to be fought out in
> court.

Are you sure to be in compliance with any and all laws of the US?
federal and local?
Did you read all of them and carefully checked them for any action you
do during your day and night activities?

> And, of course, you have to be able to read and write to sign a
> contract. The US has about 99% literacy. But that 1% is still 3
> million people. Many countries are below the 70% literacy level.

Well, "ignorance of the laws is not an excuse". So, people unable to
read is not excuse if they don't know and understand all the laws the
lawmakers write.

> What they need is a government organization to process and record all
> the contracts for all the population. Like the DMV, but much, much
> larger and more bureaucratic.

I would prefer a private service that record and maintain the various
contracts. Governments would be always later, they would lose the papers
and would mix the records.

Mirco