[ExI] the anti-Jews

Olga Bourlin fauxever at sprynet.com
Sun May 17 17:38:33 UTC 2009

From: "MB" <mbb386 at main.nc.us>
To: "ExI chat list" <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org>

> Olga, you are, by your own words, of "Christian background". Is it part of
> the
> ground in which you grew? It is, for me. Though tenuous, there is a
> connection.

I was making a connection to the post made about Asimov's "Jewish
background."  Asimov was anti-religious ... does his "Jewish background"
matter when describing him?  He was a humanist.  When do people stop being
Jews or Christians (if they become atheists)?

I'm a skeptical nontheist (not all atheists are skeptics - so I make that
little distinction sometimes) - and I gave no one consent to baptize me when
I was a few days old (believe me, I would have protested if only I could!).
Does that make me have a "Christian background?"  As soon as I could think
(very early in my life, when I realized I didn't like to be limited to being
a "Christian") I got the hell out (at the beginning, in my mind, although I
was still dependent on my family so had to play along with the rituals at
times ...).

Olga