[ExI] Left Behind

Lee Corbin lcorbin at rawbw.com
Thu May 21 22:11:37 UTC 2009

Giulio wrote (in Dancing the transhuman r-evolution)

> I am one of those who see the body as a meat cage and, if the option
> were already available, I would cheerfully choose to upload to silicon
> or cyberspace. But then I would want MORE color, sound, scent and sex,
> not less.

At the risk of introducing an identity thread,
I have a simple question. Suppose that two
equally technically reliable alternatives
exist: non-destruct upload (where the body's
mind is just copied into VR) and destructive
upload (where the body is disintegrated as
the upload is performed). Questions of "backup"
aside---i.e. assuming total safety is ensured
in all cases---would "you" also leave behind
a meat copy, or (equivalently) would "you"
applaud the happiness of the self uploaded
(and continue to be about as content with
life as you are)?

Lee