[ExI] Left Behind

natasha at natasha.cc natasha at natasha.cc
Thu May 21 23:14:41 UTC 2009

Quoting Lee Corbin <lcorbin at rawbw.com>:

> Giulio wrote (in Dancing the transhuman r-evolution)
>
>> I am one of those who see the body as a meat cage and, if the option
>> were already available, I would cheerfully choose to upload to silicon
>> or cyberspace. But then I would want MORE color, sound, scent and sex,
>> not less.

Well, sure.  But it is not.  So why not enjoy what you have now and
enjoy your visions for the future.

> At the risk of introducing an identity thread,
> I have a simple question. Suppose that two
> equally technically reliable alternatives
> exist: non-destruct upload (where the body's
> mind is just copied into VR) and destructive
> upload (where the body is disintegrated as
> the upload is performed). Questions of "backup"
> aside---i.e. assuming total safety is ensured
> in all cases---would "you" also leave behind
> a meat copy, or (equivalently) would "you"
> applaud the happiness of the self uploaded
> (and continue to be about as content with
> life as you are)?

I'd keep a copy of the body (and have several upload copies as well.)
I like the idea of having saved fasions of the past.  Never know when
I might want to pull it out, dust it off, and try it on for a spell.

No, let's not go into a thead on which is the real you.  Please.

Natasha