[ExI] "meat"

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Sun May 24 21:29:19 UTC 2009

At 09:34 PM 5/24/2009 +0100, Ben Zaiboc wrote:

>As for being disgusted with our overweight unfit short-sighted
>geekish pizza-and-coke-fed bodies, I admit to being short-sighted,
>but none of those other things apply to me (not even 'geek', sadly)
>and, let's face it, it's easy to do something about being
>overweight, unfit and fuelled by pizza-and-coke, if you actually want to.

By using that sort of unpleasant hackles-raising description, I was
gesturing at the equally dismissive conventional parody of "obese sci
fi game-head nerds who live in their parents' basement, never see the
sun, dread sex, eat junk food all nite," etc etc--which, sadly, does
have its grain of truth, despite being the stuff of journalistic ridicule.

But wait--"dread sex"? Aren't extropes and other transhumanists noted
for their robust, free-wheeling sexy ways? Maybe not always. Recall
Post Futurist from 3 days back:

<why would you want sex then? sex is animalistic.>

Uh oh.

Damien Broderick