[ExI] Power Satellites (was:our next billion dollars)

John K Clark jonkc at bellsouth.net
Tue May 26 05:42:58 UTC 2009

"Keith Henson" <hkhenson at rogers.com>

> 30 billion dollars is the size of the GM bailout.
> The numbers I get from a pro forma for a power
> satellite variation is one and a half GM bailouts
> worth of capital investment.

The Fucking International Fucking Space Fucking Station cost about 100
billion and you think you can build and launch an enormous power satellite
into geosynchronous orbit for less than half that. I very much doubt there
is a banker on the planet who would take your numbers seriously, not even
those who were dumb enough to think investing in sub prime mortgages was a
great idea. And no I haven't actually read how you came up with that dollar
value nor do I intend to because with our present knowledge I cannot
conceive of any way it could have the slightest value. Jotting down some
equations on the back of an envelope to prove something is physically
possible is one thing, figuring out what it will cost is quite another. The
truth is nobody knows how much it would end up costing, we couldn't hope to
come within an order of magnitude of the true figure, or two, probably
three, perhaps more; all we can say is that the bill would be HUGE.

 John K Clark