[ExI] taxifornia, the failed state

Rafal Smigrodzki rafal.smigrodzki at gmail.com
Thu Nov 19 18:03:45 UTC 2009

Move to Charlottesville - a beatiful town (for years #1 on the US News
list of most livable small towns in the US), nice climate, a mildly
cosmopolitan flair without the big city hubbub, surrounded by lush
forests.

Maybe we can buy some land and build our own Extropian compound in the hills.

Rafal

On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 10:02 AM, BillK <pharos at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 11/16/09, spike wrote:
>>  *If you offer a suggestion, keep in mind that property taxes are capped at
>>  1% of property purchase price plus 1% increase per year.  That restriction
>>  is locked into the state constitution, which means it requires 2/3 vote to
>>  overturn, which means it will never happen even if humanity faces immediate
>>  and brutal extinction.  You have at your disposal: income tax increases (did
>>  that one in February, state revenues went down), sales tax increases (did
>>  that one too, state revenues went down as it chased major purchases to tax
>>  free internet), and special assessment parcel taxes (flat fee per property,
>>  allowed by the state constitution.)
>>

> As you might expect some states are more retiree friendly than others.
> Surprisingly Florida has higher taxes than you might expect,
> considering it has a zero income tax rate. Some states have much
> higher property prices and taxes. But remember property taxes are
> local, so you need to check each possible town.
>
> <http://moneycentral.msn.com/content/RetirementandWills/P45875.asp>
>
> And there are many other factors that might be important to you. Tax
> reduction is not always the main objective.
> e.g. weather, winter heating costs, tornado alley?, lifestyle
> facilities, schools, etc.
>
> You probably want to be in the same state as your ranch, or a nearby
> state, to minimize travel costs.
>
> What you want is a nice town near the ranch, with zero income tax,
> cheap property to buy and low property taxes, nice warm climate, good
> schools and a thriving nightclub area for your extra-curricular
> activities (or maybe just a good country & western bar / club /
> theater).   ;)
>
> BillK

Rafal Smigrodzki, MD-PhD
Chief Clinical Officer,
Gencia Corporation
706 B Forest St.

Charlottesville, VA 22903

tel: (434) 295-4800

fax: (434) 295-4951

This electronic message transmission contains information from the
biotechnology firm of Gencia Corporation which may be confidential or
privileged. The information is intended to be for the use of the
individual or entity named above. If you are not the intended
recipient, be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use
of the contents of this information is prohibited. If you have
received this electronic transmission in error, please notify us by
telephone (434-295-4800) or by electronic mail
(fportell at genciabiotech.com) immediately.