[ExI] Joy in the transcendence of the species

Max More max at maxmore.com
Mon Feb 8 04:01:27 UTC 2010

I know many of you are fascinated by the intricacies and
peculiarities of language. Perhaps you might be motivated to help me
figure this out:

I have long enjoyed the word "Schadenfreude", meaning pleasure
derived from the misfortunes of others. [Note: I've enjoyed the
*term* "schadenfreude", not the thing it refers to.] I got to
thinking what word (if one could be coined) would mean "pleasure in
the transcendence of the species" (i.e., transcendence of the human
condition). It may be asking a lot of a word (even a German word) to
do all this work, but I'd like to give it a try.

According to Wikipedia: The Buddhist concept of mudita, "sympathetic
joy" or "happiness in another's good fortune," is cited as an example
of the opposite of schadenfreude.

However, that doesn't do the job that I'm looking for. On a first
stab, exclusively thinking about German, I came up with the rather
unsatisfactory "erhabenheitschaude" which would mean (I think) joy in
transcendence. That's part of what I'm looking for, but doesn't fit the bill.

Any thoughts?

(Please, *anything* to dilute the Searle/semantics/syntax discussion...)

Max

Max More, Ph.D.
Strategic Philosopher
The Proactionary Project