[ExI] heaves a long broken psi

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Sun Jan 24 21:36:57 UTC 2010

On 1/24/2010 3:01 PM, Stefano Vaj wrote:

> Much more perplexing and anedoctical sound the stories about drawing
> the blueprints of a foreign secret base, etc.

Eaxctly. I've had a lot of this directly from the scientists and
military personnel in the now disbanded STAR GATE program, and it's
hair-raising stuff. (And I say that as a largely bald guy.) An enormous
amount about the process is now known, including a lot of the problems
associated with it. As far as I can model it, the process is something
like allowing the mind to meander through one's stockpile of images,
some of which are then highlighted and reshaped by whatever this
capacity is (I have no idea what its vector could be). It seems very
visual and haptic, in that viewers sketch and report images, homing in
on gestalts of the scene they are trying to apprehend. Sometimes their
own evaluation of what they've "seen" turns out to be wrong, yet key
elements of their drawings and reports stand out enough for blinded
judges to identify which of four or five possible targets most closely
matches the reported data. None of this is especially surprising (except
the fact that it happens at all) because a lot of psychology experiments
have shown that this is how memory works too, by construction rather
than xerox copying.

("So why aren't they rich? Why was STAR GATE shut down?" Because psi is
unreliable and skittish. If I can write award-winning fiction, why
aren't I rich? Beats the hell out of me, it's just so wrong. And, you
know, the Manhattan Project wasn't exactly discussed every day in the
New York Times during WW2. For most of its tenure STAR GATE was highly
classified, funded for some 20 years with annual reviews by high-level
assessors; when some leaks started, and the story looked about to come
out, the government probably had no option but to kill it publicly, and
salt the corpse with ridicule. --But we know the government and military
of this great nation would never do anything like that, don't we, children?)

Damien Broderick