[ExI] geeky people, I need a couple of alpha testers...

Emlyn emlynoregan at gmail.com
Sat Jan 30 00:01:18 UTC 2010

2010/1/30 BillK <pharos at gmail.com>:
> On 1/29/10, Emlyn  wrote:
>> That's a really fair criticism. I tried newsreaders a few times, and
>>  just couldn't get into them, i'd just stop looking at them after a
>>  while. I've found for years that I was a one messaging app person, and
>>  that app is gmail; if it doesn't hit my gmail it doesn't exist. Even
>>  facebook, of which I am an embarrassingly heavy user, is only really
>>  sticky for me because of email notifications. I use twitter a bit via
>>  a firefox add-on, but not much; it wont play well with email, and so
>>  I'm not a big fan.
>>
>>  Maybe one day google wave will dislodge me from my anachronisms? Just
>>  now though, it's still email for me.
>>
>>  (btw you should see my crazy filter list :-) )
>>

> Well, if you're crazy about Gmail, then I think you should give Google
> Reader another try.
>
> You can setup reader folders like News, Financial, Tech, Tech News,
> Science, etc. and allocate each RSS feed to be put into the
> appropriate folder.
> Google Reader will also suggest more feeds that you might like,
> depending on your subscriptions.

I probably should give it another go. Honestly, I think I'd do better
with a firefox add-on which would alert me of new stuff turning up.

> The main difference I see is that Gmail is usually stuff that *must*
> be read, whereas on Reader you can stack up thousands of feeds to read
> at your leisure and you know nobody there is waiting on an urgent
> response.

I already have this in gmail (different tags for different types of
stuff). Newsfeeds never appear in my inbox.

--
Emlyn

http://www.songsofmiseryanddespair.com - My show, Fringe 2010
http://point7.wordpress.com - My blog