[ExI] Understanding is useless

Mike Dougherty msd001 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 30 03:16:20 UTC 2010

On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 9:23 PM, Gordon Swobe <gts_2000 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I don't consider myself as "looking for ontological novelty". Just killing some spare time while trying to clear up what I see as some misconceptions about strong AI and the philosophy of mind.

You don't see how it's even a little bit presumptuous that you are
able to "clear up" supposed misconceptions in two disciplines by "just
killing some spare time" ?

What IS amazing to me is that I work to clarify my thinking before
hitting send and get one or two responses in a week.  You assert that
you're a super genius who has it all worked out and the blowback from
many very smart (and patient) people showing you how and why you are
uninformed on a body of knowledge fills my inbox every day.  I am only
feeding the troll behavior today because I felt guilty for
intentionally archiving without reading any thread in which you are
participating.  Then the one email I read has that line above.  Really
incredible....