[ExI] Bodies

jameschoate at austin.rr.com jameschoate at austin.rr.com
Thu Mar 11 22:25:28 UTC 2010

---- Emlyn <emlynoregan at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 12 March 2010 01:03,  <jameschoate at austin.rr.com> wrote:
> > As I thought, quality of life. That was exactly the term I was hoping you'd use.
>
> Because you had a pre-prepared strawman argument/performance piece?

No, because that term leads to the same mental model, over and over.

> and then you go on to describe, instead of the Spike, a world which is
> altered to beyond the ken of us mere present day mortals by rapid
> technological advance, ie: the Spike; "people" know almost everything,

There is a fundamental difference between the spike and what I describe. One of the precepts of the spike for example is that it goes so fast people can't understand it even in principle. You misrepresent here.

> I liked the bombastic poetry of what you wrote, but my criticisms are
> that firstly, it says nothing of the short to medium future (which is
> the timescale of this thread I think),

Actually it does, it's just not the near term -you- recognize.

> and secondly that your vision still includes "people", which is a difficult to support assumption
> when talking about a post-singular world.

Only so far as the people are the ones who kick it off and get subsumed. If you really believe that somehow that's going to all magically disappear one day in a world of chrome and silicon then you've got a lot more thinking to do.

> Oh, and don't be so quick to write off human politics, it's more
> important than you give it credit for.

Write it off? Can't imagine where you pulled that one from, and probably don't want to know.

--
 -- -- -- --
Venimus, Vidimus, Dolavimus

jameschoate at austin.rr.com