[ExI] Cryonics is getting weird

David Lubkin lubkin at unreasonable.com
Tue May 18 01:18:28 UTC 2010

         :
>Adrian, David Lubkin I can't tell from your responses which quadrant you
>chose.  Where, me lads, and why?

I think that any of the quadrants are malignable by someone
intent on smearing Alcor.

Quad 3 makes no sense to me at all.

Quad 4 follows the contractual commitment, which I like.

Quad 2 is greedy, but may be appropriate.

Quad 1 rewards his family's bad acts.

As I recall, the lengthy Alcor contract asks the member what should
be done with his allocated funds if suspension is not possible (e.g.,
if the body has been cremated). That would be a new quadrant.

If Alcor's scientific and suspension teams believe that there is
enough left to make suspension worthwhile, they should go with
Quad 4.

If they won't know until they look at the corpse, again Quad 4,
in order to make that assessment.

If Alcor believes that information-theoretic death has been reached,
then they should see if the suspension contract called for preservation
of whatever tissue and DNA is left. If so, Quad 4.

If not, take out reasonable expenses incurred, including any costs of
litigation and exhumation, and direct the residual funds as designated
in the contract.

If no destination was set for residual funds, or it is not possible to
transfer the funds as requested, then Alcor should use its best
judgment for what to do with the money. If it were me, I'd be fine with
applying the money to Alcor's research program or to assisting
other members, e.g., paying the cost of a standby team for a member
who hadn't funded it.

-- David.