[ExI] Cryonics is getting weird

spike spike66 at att.net
Tue May 18 01:48:50 UTC 2010

> ...On Behalf Of David Lubkin
>
> Spike wrote:
>
> >Quad 1) refund, no dig
> >Quad 2) no refund, no dig
> >Quad 3) refund, dig
> >Quad 4) no refund, dig.
>          :

> I think that any of the quadrants are malignable by someone
> intent on smearing Alcor...

Exactly!  And I don't think any of us really want to do that.  Alcor was
faced with a tough situation in which there were no really good answers.  It
looks to me like they did the best they could with a bad situation.  Your
observation is exactly why I am taking such pains with this thread.

> Quad 3 makes no sense to me at all.
>
> Quad 4 follows the contractual commitment, which I like.
>
> Quad 2 is greedy, but may be appropriate.
>
> Quad 1 rewards his family's bad acts...

OK, so I will put you down as a quad 4er, with a second choice as quad 2er.
Fair enough, and well said.

> As I recall, the lengthy Alcor contract asks the member what
> should be done with his allocated funds if suspension is not
> possible (e.g., if the body has been cremated). That would be
> a new quadrant...

Ja, but this is one of those in-between cases.  Suspension in this case is
*possible* even if completely pointless and grotesque.

> If Alcor's scientific and suspension teams believe that there
> is enough left to make suspension worthwhile, they should go
> with Quad 4...

Ja of course that opens up a whole nuther area: is Alcor to make the
decision?  Alonse?  Do they answer to anyone?  To the family, who may be
squicked by the whole thing?  Is Alcor in any better legal postion with that
than they are in this case?

> If they won't know until they look at the corpse, again Quad
> 4, in order to make that assessment...

Ja, see above.

> If Alcor believes that information-theoretic death has been...

Alcor's call again?  See above.

> If not, take out reasonable expenses incurred, including any
> costs of litigation and exhumation, and direct the residual
> funds as designated in the contract...-- David.

Ja, so Alcor's call on deciding reasonable expenses?  Do they answer to the
family?  A family who may be, rather is likely to be legally hostile to
Alcor?

Thanks for the input David!  Ill fill you in as a 4.